Hope you are enjoying the holidays, warmth of loved ones and delicious festive foods.
In my last article, we talked that women should avoid the physical aspects of Yoga during the menstrual cycle, but on the other hand practicing Yoga rest of the month has a lot of benefits for the overall well-being of female.
It is a popular saying –‘’Even God himself cannot understand a woman’’ haha !Female hormones throughout her life significantly affect her temperament, mind, and physiology.
Including Yoga discipline into the regular lifestyle, improves the health of the complex female reproductive system, which includes the uterus, pelvic floor muscles, fallopian tubes, ovaries and brings balance in the secretion of hormones.
This leads to the homeostasis in whole female well-being.
It also helps to-
1-over come the premenstrual syndrome (irritation, cramps, mood swings during or before monthly cycle).
2-cure Irregular cycle
4-delay the menopause.
6-recover Polycystic Ovaries Syndrome
The Most effective Yoga practices to prevent and cure female problems are-
1- Asanas-(body postures)
Three important Asanas to be included in the practice are-
A) Upavishtakona asana (wide-angle stretch pose),BKS Iyengar calls this as a boon for female.
- Gives good contraction and massage to lower abdominal organs.
- Gives good stretch to inner leg muscles and hip joints.
- Improves blood circulation in the lower body.
- Relieves cramps during the cycle.
- B) Baddhakona asana (Butterfly pose)
- Stretches the hip joints, knees, inner thighs and groins.
- c) Bhujanga asana (Cobra pose)
- Stretches the abdominal muscles.
- Strengthen the lower back.
2-Pranayama- (Breath control)
Anulome –Vilom (alternate breath and Bhastrika
- Brings balance in the sun and moon energies (prana) in the body.
- Removes irritation before and during periods.
- Brings balance in all the three doshas (constitutes) of the body.
3-Bandha and Mudra
Mool Bandha (root lock) and Ashwani Mudra
- Strengthen the pelvic floor muscles and other lower abdominal muscles.
- Brings clarity of mind.
4- Meditation and Relaxation-15 min
One can also take few precautions to ease the discomfort during the periods as-
- Using hot pack over the abdomen
- Cold things like ice cream, cold drinks, rice, curd etc
- To wash head on the first or second day of the menstrual cycle as it cools down the systems of body, which is not good.
- Extreme physical exertion.
I wish you all a very happy new year!
Hari Om Tat Sat !